Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Kindergarten

We're still here, livin' the dream one day at a time and trying to navigate new waters called... KINDERGARTEN!

Beginning of the year was...well...exhausting. Waking up earlier (5am is an actual time!?!?), lots of learning and fewer toys to Malakai's disappointment, new friends, new routines, buying "hot" lunches at school, walking down the school hallways by themselves! While I looked forward to many of the changes and challenges, it rocked my world to realize how independent these precious kids are getting.

In addition to all the new, we decided to sign the kids up for soccer too...you know, just in case they weren't tired enough after a long day of learning. I'm glad we did it but we definitely learned some things about our kids...like who should play soccer again and who needs to just go to gymnastics!
 This gem (missed kick) gets me every time...


We're seeing and understanding so many more of their interests & personalities. Amiya really enjoys coloring and drawing, a little artist! Many of her pictures of people are so much better than I could ever draw! Malakai on the other hand has very little interest in coloring, he's too busy figuring out how things work or tackling something, someone or some animal! He's a sweet talker, a clown and still just as loving as always.  Amiya keeps up with the rules and organization. Sounds like their parents!!

With lots of new, we've been thankful to be surrounded by so many families with lots of children! Lots of children means lots of different personalities, learning styles and awesome parents who roll with the punches! These families have willingly and a lovingly listened to various struggles or situations and always relate to at least 1 of their children and pass on some helpful insights!

With the new school environment being removed from our "adoptive world bubble" and with the natural curiosity and maturing of children, we've had a lot more questions about the difference of our skin colors "not matching." The questions are curious and innocent and I feel like inquiring minds and listening ears deserve answers. I know I shouldn't be surprised by the number of comments we've gotten, it's inevitable, but each one catches me off guard. I know my kids are listening to the response, they hear everything anyway, and I know one day they will start answering this question. I hope they do it with grace and love. I hope it's an opportunity for them to share what God has done in our family. For now, I try to just point out the similarities (nose, fingers, hair etc.) while reminding them that God makes everyone unique, different and perfectly in his image.

13 For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them. (Psalm 139:13-16, ESV)


Here's a few pictures of the things we've been doing! 
First day of Kindergarten

one of the many faces of Malakai
Flower girl and Ring Bearer (now Amiya thinks she's a wedding professional)


Homecoming Chaperones!


"blue day" at school...how could they NOT wear those awesome shirts!?

cool cat

Trick or Treat

No comments:

Post a Comment