Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Different kind of week



This week has flown by. With much on the mind, I'm not sure how much of anything I've actually gotten done. It's been hard to focus with so much happening here. On Tuesday, 6 year old Sterling Davis was undergoing his 4th surgery for a brain tumor. You can read more about his story here. What an amazing young man with incredible parents and 3 younger sisters who are all relying on Christ every step of the way!


Wednesday our tornado warning sirens began blaring at 5am. That morning storm brought down lots of trees in our area. Shutting off the entrance to neighborhoods, blocking major roads, landing on homes and pulling up driveways. We knew there was another system headed our way. As the day carried on, it appeared the worst of the storm would probably head north of us. Schools let out early, most businesses & shops closed down early just in case. Wes & I stood on our front porch and watched the system roll through with our door open so we could hear the news & the basement door open just in case we needed to make a quick run for it. We knew Tuscaloosa (approx. 1 hour West of us) had a major tornado. We were hearing just north of downtown Birmingham was getting hit & we could see debris & cardboard boxes flying around above the tree line in our neighborhood. It was unbelievable. We are far enough south that we really didn't get much rain or hail and we have a dead tree in our back yard that we can't believe is still standing!
a map of the tornados (we're in Shelby county)


Thank you to everyone who has called, emailed, text, facebooked or contacted our parents asking if we are OK. We are indeed fine but many of our friends, friends of friends and community are not ok.

On Friday we received an email that we may receive a court date in late May! We also found out there were riots happening in Kampala~not good considering everything happening north of UG. I went into freak out mode a little bit. There's so much to do & still so much that we need to get, not to mention how we'll finance this last part in such a short amount of time! I am trying to turn every bit of this over to God. He is sovereign & in control of every bit of it. I know this but I just like to plan and have everything under control.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you were not injured nor had any damage from the storms. I've been thinking about you two a lot since last Wednesday, as well as the entire state. So devastating.

    It's good to hear that things are moving along quickly with the adoption! We hope that everything goes smoothly, and look forward to hearing more news later.

    ReplyDelete